Thursday, August 1, 2013

Halloween Twister Quilt part 2

Today I am going to talk about cutting out the quilt blocks.

I have found some great cutting rulers and rotary cutters that I want to share with you.  The great products come from Martelli Enterprises.  First, I would like to say that I think they have by far the best rotary cutter on the market. Next, I have discovered their templates.  They are a little expensive but I signed up for their Red Line notifications and got them for 50% off.

 I highly recommend that you sign up for Martelli's Red Line notifications.  How it works is that they send you  email that lets you know when and what is on sale.  The sales are online and are for 24 hours only (midnight to midnight).

The Martelli cutter is supposed to be able to cut up to 32 layers of fabric at a time, so I laid four different fabrics on top of each other with each fabric folded four ways (this makes 16 layers of fabric).




 Next I used my Martelli strip ruler to cut the fabric into 5" blocks. First I cut off the right edge to even up the fabrics.






Then I put my cutter into the slot that was 5" from the right edge ( I put inch markings on my slots  so it would be easier to know which slot to use).




Next I put the cutter into the slot 10" from the right edge. 



After that I rotated the fabric 90 degrees and repeated putting the cutter in slots at 5" and at 10".
 



Look a the nicely stacked 5" squares that I made with only 12 cuts (six different fabrics, using this method I cut two stacks of fabric). Total came to 96 5" squares.





No comments: