Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Patriotic Table Runner

Since tomorrow is fourth of July, I thought I would share my Patriotic table runner with you.

I bought two patriotic charm packs ( I bought two packs so I would be able to pick the ones I wanted to use and not have to use them all) from Keepsake Quilting not sure what I was going to do with them.


After rummaging through my templates I decided to use another one of Debbie Tucker's templates to make a patriotic table runner.


 This one is called Tucker Trimmer. The great thing about the template and it's directions is that it has a chart of any size squares. The chart tells you what size of fabric to start with, what the pieced block size is and the finished block size. So, since the fabric I bought was already cut into  5" squares, I looked at the chart for making the pieced combination units. The pieced block size ended up being 4" and the finished block size became 3 1/2" after seam alowance.



I made 32 blocks all with a light color for the big triangle.



I arranged them together so that four light triangles made up a diamond when pieced together maked 16  7 1/2" squares blocks. I laid out them out into 4 rows of 2 blocks.

Next I went to my new local quilt store. Suzzie's Quilt Shop and bought some fabric to use as borders, backing, and binding.



 I cut the red into 1 1/2" strips (2 at 28 1/2" and 2 at 16 1/2") and the blue into 2 1/2" strips (2 at 30 1/2" and 2 at 20 1/2"). next I  pieced the inner border sides first followed by top and bottom, then attached together the outer border (again sides first then top and bottom).



The top of the table runner is finished! Now it is time to quilt it. I used the flag print for the back of the runner top and I quilted it in red thread using a stipple pattern.






1 comment:

Carla said...

I think this is just lovely! I really like patriotic.