Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Hexagons




When Martelli had templates on their Redline Direct, I bought a set of hexagons. At the time I bought then I had no idea what I was going to do with them.  Then I saw a "Grandmother's Flower Garden" quilt on line and knew that I had to make it.

Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt-I've touched other people's grandmother's quilts  . . . . .
 Well, for starters it is pieced together using the English paper piecing method.  If you don't know what that is, here is a video that will help you understand English paper piecing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHe-MJavMqI.

I decided to start by making a pin cushion that I found in McCall's Quilting Magazine (Nov./Dec. 2013) to get me started with hexagons.

I used Martelli hexagons to cut both the paper and the fabric.

I used the 2 inch fussy cut template to make my paper pattern.  After I make one sheet, I then copied the paper several times and then cut out all the hexagons.


I first cut a 2 1/2 by 3 inch pieces of fabric, then using the template, I cut the hexagon shapes.


Next I pinned the paper shapes to the fabric.


I have stitched the edges down and now I am ready to whip stitch the hexagons together.  I stitched mine down differently than in any of the other videos.  I tack down ONLY the corners (with a stitch and then a back stitch) making sure that I do NOT go through the paper. This helps preserve the paper so that it can be used over many times.



Next I pressed them and right after I press them and before I sew them together, I take out the papers (which can be used again).  This is different than any of the youtube videos that I watched.  I just don't see the need for the paper when sewing them together.



I sewed all the sides together except one.  I stuffed it with crushed walnut shells, that I got at the pet store, before whip stitching the last side of the last hexagon.  My finished pin cushion!

No comments: